Tofu looks just like paneer (Indian cottage cheese) and it is tasteless. That means we can induce flavors by cooking it with the spices we like. Tofu is made from soy beans (mostly), it can serve as agreat source of protein, iron, calcium for the vegans and vegetarians like me. 100gm of tofu contain 8gm of protein, 350mg of calcium (35% daily value), iron 5.4mg (42% daily value) and it counts for 76Kcal. One cup of paneer made with cow milk contains 265 calories and 21 g of fat.. The same amount of paneer made using buffalo milk contains 292 calories and 23 g of fat.
Where to find tofu?
Walmart: you can find near the fresh greens (Produce section).
Kroger: you can find in the frozen section.
Publix: You can find it near greens and mushroons (Produce section).
I always love eating healthy and tasty food. This recipe satisfies my taste buds and it is healthy too. A duel combo.
Tofu cubes medium size-200gm
Onion - 1 medium-sized one, chopped fine
garlic cloves - 2
Sesame seeds (Dry roasted)-3ts
Tamarind- half lemon size
Dhania powder/malli podi/Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
Garam masala - 1 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Kasuri methi/dried fenugreek leaves - 1 generous pinch
cinnamon stick-1 small
bay leaf-1 big
Curry leaf-10 leaves
Curry leaf-10 leaves
Cream - 2ts
Oil - 3 tbsp
Salt - to taste
- Prepare the masala paste by grinding together tamarind+ sesame+ coriander powder+ cumin powder+ginger+ garlic+ kasuri methi + Onion. ( add little water while grinding, and make a fine paste).
- Now take a pan and melt butter add bay leaf, cumin seeds, red chili, cinnamon stick, and saute it.
- Add green peas and cook till they are done, then add turmeric.
- Now add the prepared masala + curry leaf + salt + red chili powder+ coconut milk and cream and cook for a while. Add water if required.
- Finally add tofu and mix well, cook for 10 min at medium flame.
- Add little garam masala (if you like very spicy) at the end and garnish with cilantro.
You can enjoy this wonderful curry with roti/naan/rice. Hope you like my recipe.
Tip: if you add mutter (green peas) to this recipe, it becomes Tofu mutter masala.